W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > December 2010

Minutes of 2010-12-02 LLD meeting

From: Ford, Kevin <kefo@loc.gov>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:51:15 -0500
To: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Message-ID: <1D525027B29706438707F336D75A279F152C4FCF2E@LCXCLMB03.LCDS.LOC.GOV>
The minutes from today's telecon are available at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html


I've also pasted a text version below.

My gratitude to Antoine for bringing them the last mile.

Cheers,

Kevin


----------------

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/


                                LLD XG

02 Dec 2010

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Dec/0006.html


   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-lld-irc


Attendees

   Present
          antoine, jeff_, kai, michaelp, TomB, kefo, Asaf_, pmurray,
          markva, edsu, digikim, rayd, Felix, danbri

   Regrets
          Ed, Jodi, Emmanuelle, Joachim, Guenther, Marcia

   Chair
          Tom

   Scribe
          Kefo

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Admin
         2. [6]F2F in Cologne
         3. [7]JISC Open Bibliographic Data Guide
         4. [8]CITATION CLUSTER
         5. [9]PAUL WALK'S TOOL AND ANALYSIS
         6. [10]DRAFT OUTLINE FOR FINAL REPORT
     * [11]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <TomB> Previous:
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minu

   tes.html

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html


   <TomB> Scribe: Kefo

   <TomB> scribenick: kefo

Admin

   RESOLUTION: Accept previous minutes

F2F in Cologne

   Antoine: Small, informal mtg in Cologne

   <antoine>
   [13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Dec/0005.h

   tml

     [13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Dec/0005.html


   Antoine: Talked about topics of incubator group
   ... and future outcomes of the group
   ... perhaps it would be best to review the written report
   ... distributed on the list serve.
   ... We spent a fair amount of time on
   ... establishing a shared terminology.

   Tomb: let's discuss the issue of terminology
   ... but first attend to current agenda items
   ... maybe in next calls we establish shared terminology

   tomb: should we continue with agenda and distribute notes by another
   method

JISC Open Bibliographic Data Guide

   antoine: participants believe it best to conduct conversation via
   email
   ... and only later talk about specific items on calls

   tomb:let's discuss in future calls
   ... keep placemarker for future calls

   < ACTION: Monica and JISC colleagues to introduce and discuss JISC
   work on next call [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action02]CONTINUE
   S]

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action02


CITATION CLUSTER

   <kai>
   [15]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MhYl8Iz8raHA0M7jnHrzwiC_MmXn

   DM4aNG2ymVCz9rM/edit?hl=en&authkey=CKzY3YQH

     [15] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MhYl8Iz8raHA0M7jnHrzwiC_MmXnDM4aNG2ymVCz9rM/edit?hl=en&authkey=CKzY3YQH


   kai: problems defining what was expected from cluster
   ... would like feedback from group
   ... began by defining a citation
   ... based on use cases, concluded needed a broader definition than
   just something bibliographic
   ... discussed scope of cluster
   ... citing, citations, citation format, link/cite difference, and
   backlinks in scope
   ... out of scope: defining new citation representations
   ... also identified citation granularity as relevant
   ... level 1 is a basic string in the text of a publication
   ... level 2 is a structured citation
   ... level 3 actually linked citation
   ... identified a few additional use cases
   ... ability to register agreeement/disagreement with citation
   ... and jumping to cited resource are two examples

   <markva> this appears to overlap with Goals and Scenario (emma's
   suggestion)

   kai: next step is to extract requirements from these added use
   cases.
   ... provided a section detailing existing technologies and
   vocabularies that may be helpful moving forward
   ... also identified new questions that may need to be addressed

   TomB: good start. I see a definition of citations in the scope of
   linked data. What is the function of a citation in linked data and
   how can that function be achieved?
   ... URIs are one way, but what other ways might there be to identify
   citations in a linked data environment?
   ... I would expect citation cluster to frame the problem of what is
   a citation in a LD context and then look at use cases to determine
   the ways and methods that are employed to address problem.

   kai: I'd like to take a step back and ask what we hope to achieve
   with the documents we're producing about the clusters

   <markva> +1

   kai: We certainly need our own definition for citations in linked
   data

   TomB: It is important to start with defining a citation in light of
   linked data and then go on to explore how that is manifested in the
   use cases
   ... Why work in the Google Docs enviro versus XG wiki?
   ... Technical reason or a desire not to show work-in-progress?

   <edsu> better for live editing ...

   <jeff_> better for simultaneous collaborative editing

   kai: We'll be moving to Wiki soon.

   edsu: Thanks kai for thorough description of our work to-date. TomB,
   I hear your concerns. In my mind, LD is a technology and one that
   can be used to represent citations. But, w/o knowing what a citation
   is in the absence of technology, we can't identify the needs for LD.

   <TomB> +1 to define citations generically before saying what they
   mean in the linked data context

   markva: Lots of interesting material. procedural question: If you
   merge into Wiki, will it break into different sections?
   ... What is the structure of the document we're all working toward
   based on the clusters.

   <antoine> I think the 'extracted use cases' are indeed Emma's
   'scenarios'

   TomB: Could be useful to have a scaffolding of subsections, with
   idea that for final report we cut out superfluous sub-headings

   markva: I don't know if I understand. We only have structure for use
   cases.

   TomB: Let's not worry about establishing a formal template for the
   cluster reports right now.

   TomB: I'm inclined to let groups develop a structure best-suited to
   their findings
   ... Let's get it on paper and then determine areas of overlap and
   ways to streamline the organization

   edsu: I want to echo Mark's points.
   ... If there is a specific goal for the group, it would help the
   groups focus their work.

   <antoine> +1

   <pmurray> I agree with edsu; more structure would have been helpful
   for our conversation.

   edsu: Otherwise, the disparity in the resulting documents might
   require a great deal of massaging in the end.

   antoine: I half agree with Ed. Having a structure is useful
   ... but we have really diverse clusters, it could be that for some
   of them the structure differs
   ... Especially true for the vocabulary alignment cluster
   ... so we should perhaps still allow some flexibility now

   <edsu> +1

   <edsu> :-)

   <kai> +1, but maybe we should have the presentation of a very
   different cluster first to see the differences and similarities.

   TomB: I believe groups need some latitude in creating their reports.
   ... But, perhaps, we could work to identify 3 or 4 headings that
   might be shared across all the groups.
   ... Is this a reasonable compromise? We don't lose time defining a
   template, but we do determine a few headings that apply across all
   the clusters.

   <pmurray> I agree, if it can be done at this point.

   edsu: I think this would be useful, especially if we can identify
   the 3 or 4 headings quickly

   <markva> +1

   edsu: This would help to provide some guidance to the others.

   TomB: nearing the end. Anything else?

   antoine: I have two headings: I like the Extracted Use Cases /
   Scenarios section and the relevant technologies/vocabularies
   section.

   antoine: for a third, I like the background definitions. Such as, in
   the citation example, how a citation is defined and its placement,
   the intoductory section

   edsu: Kai, Peter, and I can rework the document to fit the proposed
   headings

   <edsu> i have 1) Background 2) Topic in the Context of Linked Data
   3) Scenarios (Extracted Use Cases) 4) Relevant Technologies
   Vocabularies

   ACTION: Citation cluster group to place Google Docs document into XG
   Wiki [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action01]

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action01


   <edsu> markva: would be interested to hear if this fits how you've
   been thinking about it

PAUL WALK'S TOOL AND ANALYSIS

   TomB: Must this remain on the agenda?
   ... I propose we remove it otherwise.

   <Asaf_> +1

   <edsu> +1

   ACTION: Remove PAUL WALK'S TOOL AND ANALYSIS from Agenda [recorded
   in [17]http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action02]

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action02


DRAFT OUTLINE FOR FINAL REPORT

   <antoine>
   [18]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Dec/0005.h

   tml

     [18] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Dec/0005.html


   antoine: Two primary topics for the draft that we think we're
   missing, related to education and outreach
   ... Firstly, we wanted to emphasize opportunities of LD for
   libraries and other users. We need some scenarios demonstrating
   _why_ a library would want to do LD
   ... Perhaps a type of benefits section at the front of report
   ... targeting library managers/administrators
   ... Secondly, was education. Guenther was interested in what the
   curricula for professional training or the qualifications a library
   professional would need for LD
   ... Guenther is going to establish a Wiki page for this.

   <pmurray> That is huge, and important.

   TomB: Propose we put an intro section into the report outline with
   and a new Education/curricula section at the end of the report

   <markva> bye

   <danbri> yay, my first LLD call. all of 13 minutes!

   <digikim> thanks

   <TomB> ACTION: Antoine to add "LOD curriculum" into
   "recommendations" section of Outline, and benefits into an
   Introduction [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action03]

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action03


Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Antoine to add "LOD curriculum" into "recommendations"
   section of Outline, and benefits into an Introduction [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minu

   tes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Citation cluster group to place Google Docs document
   into XG Wiki [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minu

   tes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Remove PAUL WALK'S TOOL AND ANALYSIS from Agenda
   [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minu

   tes.html#action02]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Monica and JISC colleagues to introduce and
   discuss JISC work on next call [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minu

   tes.html#action02]
   [PENDING] ACTION: volunteers to send login information to william
   waite to curate CKAN [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minu

   tes.html#action04]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Jeff to write one or two paragraphs on VIAF design
   discussions [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/18-lld-minu

   tes.html#action06]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Karen and Emma to curate archive cluster for end
   of december [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action02]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Antoine and Michael to curate vocabulary alignment
   cluster for end of december [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action07]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Gordon and Martin to curate bibliographic data
   cluster for end of december [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action05]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Jeff and Alexander to curate authority data
   cluster for end of december [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action06]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Kai and Ed to curate citations cluster for end of
   december [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action03]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Mark (and Jodi and Asaf) to curate digital objects
   cluster for end of december [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action04]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Alex, Jeff, Martin, MichaelP elaborate on general
   purpose IT architecture for dealing with linked data with caching
   feature [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24‑lld‑minu

   tes.html#action04]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Emma and Antoine to create use case
   DATA.SEARCH-OPTIMIZATION [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24‑lld‑minu

   tes.html#action06]
   [PENDING] ACTION: for each use case champion: on the Vocabularies
   page, link to each URL use case that uses it [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23‑lld‑minu

   tes.html#action01]
   [PENDING] ACTION: GordonD and Antoine to study use cases that relate
   to vocabulary merging use case [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24-lld-minu

   tes.html#action01]

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action02

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action04

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/18-lld-minutes.html#action06

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action02

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action07

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action05

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action06

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action03

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action04

     [32] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24%E2%80%91lld%E2%80%91minutes.html#action04

     [33] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24%E2%80%91lld%E2%80%91minutes.html#action06

     [34] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23%E2%80%91lld%E2%80%91minutes.html#action01

     [35] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24-lld-minutes.html#action01


   [End of minutes]


Received on Thursday, 2 December 2010 19:52:38 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 2 December 2010 19:52:38 GMT