Re: Pittsburgh meeting logistics (22 Oct and 23-24 Oct)

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Thomas Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de> wrote:

> Hi Ray,
>
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 04:48:04PM -0400, Ray Denenberg wrote:
> > Questions/comments:
> >
> > 1. Members of a W3C WG or XG attending a meeting of that group should not
> > need to register for a meeting of a different group just because the W3C
> > meeting happens to be a joint meeting of the two groups -- Particularly
> when
> > this is a three hour meeting, and it is necessary to register for a full
> > day, at $280.
>
> The idea for making this a joint meeting came up when we saw
> that a number of XG members were planning to attend DC-2010.
>
> As we (i.e., the chairs) see it, the meeting is "optional"
> for XG members.
>
> It is good opportunity to discuss a topic -- "application
> profiles", one of the many topics of interest to the XG --
> with a community for which that is a fundamental theme, but
> in a perspective broader than that of the DCMI Architecture
> Forum per se (e.g., Marcia on application profiles in the
> FRSAD context).  DCMI is undertaking a critical review of its
> technical approach in an area where the XG should itself be
> identifying needed next steps and follow-on actions.
>
> > 2. If as stated there is strong consensus to end at noon Sunday, is there
> > perhaps consideration for the possibility of ending Saturday instead? Can
> > much be accomplished on Sunday if we end at noon?
>
> On the basis of my experience, a full meeting day followed
> by an evening of socialization (during which the ideas often
> flow), is ideally followed by a half-day in which the ideas of
> the evening before can be captured in drafts.  Some of the best
> meetings I have ever attended were one and a half days, and
> the evening in-between was an important part of their success.
>
> If people need to get back home earlier, we do not want to
> require participants to stay the extra night.  On the other
> hand, if people are coming from far away, it is a pity not
> to use the face time to best effect.
>
> What do others think?

+1 !
I was advocating ending at mid-day on sunday because I'm flying back to
France on sunday evening. It doesn't necessarily mean parting at noon sharp,
it can be after lunch or early afternoon.
We probably need this extra half-day, and like Tom, I have good experiences
with meetings on 1,5 days.

> > 3. Saturday morning start time is not listed. Some of us are
> contemplating
> > flying or driving in Saturday morning. What time do you think we will
> > convene?
>
> We haven't discussed this yet.  I was picturing 9:00 or, at
> the latest, 10:00.  If we were to find that many participants
> prefer to stay only for Saturday, we would need to get as
> much possible done on that day.
>
> Again, what do others think?

Those attending DC2010 probably won't mind starting early, so we have to
investigate with those planning to arrive only on saturday morning.

--
=====
Emmanuelle Bermès - http://www.bnf.fr