Re: Possible use case

On 10-08-14 14:31, Antoine Isaac wrote:
> Hi Karen, Bernard,
>
> This is a very interesting case I think.
> Re. the availability of DDC subject as URIs, would it be worth
> pointing at the http://dewey.info/? It's far from complete, but the
> use case could be the opportunity to call for more of it :-) . Or to
> point potential issues there, if there are any.

Recommending or using the DDC in any way (at least from
an open data standpoint) is problematic because of the OCLC's
intellectual property assertions over it. So you can only use
the DDC in ways that they like, otherwise risk getting sued.

The apocryphal story:

    http://www.llrx.com/features/deweyoclc.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_Hotel

Eventually the suit was settled but I would still be very
hesitant unless the DDC is released under some sort of an
open license.

As there are OCLC people here, has there been any move
to loosen the strings on the DDC in recent times?

-w

--
William Waites           <william.waites@okfn.org>
Mob: +44 789 798 9965    Open Knowledge Foundation

RDF Indexing, Clustering and Inferencing in Python
		http://ordf.org/