Re: CfC: to add Speech API to Charter; deadline January 24

Some of the reasons we believe that the JavaScript Speech API is best
suited for WebApps, instead of it's own working group, include:

1. Speech is likely to become a core API, like other WebApps deliverables
such as File API. It is important that it be compatible and consistent
with, and interact well with other JavaScript API components.  In
particular, speech provides a new method for accepting user input,
producing user output and interacting with the features, and controlling
the flow, of other JavaScript API components.

2. WebApps provides a balanced web-centric view for new JavaScript APIs.
 The XG group consisted of a large number of speech experts, but only a few
with broad web API expertise. We believe the formation of a new WG would
have a similar imbalance, whereas the WebApps WG can provide valuable,
balanced guidance and feedback.

3. The scope of this effort is well-defined and bounded. All that have
responded to this CfC have agreed that JavaScript API portions of the XG
Final Report are relevant to WebApps, and that the wire protocol portions
of the XG Final Report are not relevant to WebApps (and should be pursued
in another group, such as IETF).  The differing opinions seem only about
the specific starting point of this effort, whether to base it on the full
JavaScript API in the XG's Final Report [1] or a subset of that JavaScript
API, which supports the majority of use cases, as proposed by Google [2].
 For this first recommendation-track document, we believe a subset will
accelerate implementation, interoperability testing, standardization and
ultimately developer adoption. However, in the spirit of consensus, we are
willing to broaden this subset to include additional API features in the XG
Final Report.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/htmlspeech/XGR-htmlspeech/
[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011OctDec/att-1696/speechapi.html