Re: CfC: to add Speech API to Charter; deadline January 19

Art,

Thanks for these comments.  As one of the chairs of the original XG, I'd like to mention that, indeed, there have been and continue to be disagreements on the scope of what should be in a first recommendation-track document.  Additionally, there have been disagreements on where this work should continue, with some members suggesting WebApps as the appropriate place for some of the work and others suggesting that a new WG would be appropriate for the work done in W3C.

Personally I don't care where the work happens as long as it does indeed represent industry consensus as much as possible.  Because of the disagreements on scope, I think we are unlikely to see an immediate agreement to advance the specific subset proposal presented by Glen Shires and others at Google.  I also would like to hear from proponents of this proposal how they believe this work can productively proceed within the WebApps Working Group.

You can consider this a long-winded '+1' to your email, Art.

Dan Burnett
Former Co-Chair, HTML Speech XG