Re: CfC: to add Speech API to Charter; deadline January 19

I am strongly in favor of seeing the WebApps group take on definition of a speech API.  In fact, seeing such a project initiated was my original reason for joining the group.  The group understandably focused their initial efforts on APIs which originated in the BONDI work, but it is now appropriate to widen the focus.

The challenge is to define a natural interface within the browser which allows for authoring application.  The task within WebApps should concentrate on enabling speech input and synthesis in web applications instead of dwelling on lower level technologies or transport.  These are better addressed elsewhere in the W3C and in other standards bodies.  As such, I endorse the more restricted focus that has been offered and am willing to volunteer my time as an editor or where ever else assistance is required.

-=- Jerry