Re: Speech API Community Group

To elaborate on Milan's assertion, imagine a large company (airline,
bank, etc.) that already has a significant investment in IVR (thousands
of ports of ASR-enabled VXML).  They are eager to add web access as an
option, but want to make sure  that the recognition is done by their
existing servers, which they have spent years and $$ tuning.  They are
not going to trust their customer's experience (or financial data) to
whatever speech engine he happens to have configured on his browser.
Hence the need for the application author to specify a specific network
speech service as part of the application.  (That doesn't  mean that the
developer _must_ specify such a service, just that he _can_ if his
application calls for it.)

- Jim