From: public-xg-htmlspeech-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-xg-htmlspeech-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of JOHNSTON,
MICHAEL J (MICHAEL J)
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 1:07 PM
To: Dan Burnett
Cc: public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org
Subject: Re: Reminder: send questions

Here is one I sent earlier:

One thing I see missing from the API draft is support for the INFO
messages for sending metadata to the recognizer during recognition.

In the html+speech protocol we have a generic capability to send
metadata to the recognizer, the
relevant reco-method is INFO (see below).   These messages can be sent
during the transmission of
audio.  This covers multimodal use cases where there may be metadata
(e.g. GUI actions, button clicks etc) that take place while the user is
speaking, which are relevant for processing the user's audio.

To support this at the API level we need some kind of method on
SpeechInputRequest that will cause the INFO message to be sent over the
protocol.

e.g.

interface SpeechInputRequest {

void
s<file:///Users/johnstonmjr/NOTES/2011/sep%202011/speechwepapi.html#dfn-
setsensitivity>endinfo(in DOMstring
i<file:///Users/johnstonmjr/NOTES/2011/sep%202011/speechwepapi.html#dfn-
sensitivity>nfo);

Michael

reco-method  = "LISTEN"             ; Transitions Idle -> Listening
             | "START-INPUT-TIMERS" ; Starts the timer for the various
input timeout conditions
             | "STOP"               ; Transitions Listening -> Idle
             | "DEFINE-GRAMMAR"     ; Pre-loads & compiles a grammar,
assigns a temporary URI for reference in other methods
             | "CLEAR-GRAMMARS"     ; Unloads all grammars, whether
active or inactive
             | "INTERPRET"          ; Interprets input text as though it
was spoken
             | "INFO"               ; Sends metadata to the recognizer

INFO

In multimodal applications, some recognizers will benefit from
additional context. Clients can use the INFO request to send this
context. The Content-Type header should specify the type of data, and
the data itself is contained in the message body.

On Oct 4, 2011, at 3:03 PM, Dan Burnett wrote:

Group,

Please remember to send any questions you have about how the protocol
relates to the Web API in advance of our call this week so Robert can be
ready to address them.

The most recent version of the protocol on the mailing list is here [1].

-- dan

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2011Sep/0012.ht
ml