Re: Agreed recognition API?

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Eric S. Johansson <esj@harvee.org> wrote:
> On 5/19/2011 11:39 AM, Olli Pettay wrote:
>>
>> On 05/19/2011 05:59 PM, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
>>>
>>> By now the draft final report
>>> (http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/htmlspeech/live/NOTE-htmlspeech.html)
>>> contains a number of design agreements for the JavaScript API for
>>> speech recognition. I thought it would be a useful exercise to
>>> translate those agreements into a concrete API.
>>>
>>> The below IDL describes my interpretation of the parts of the API that
>>> we have agreed on so far. Many of the interface/function/attribute
>>> names are not yet agreed, so I mixed and matched from the Microsoft,
>>> Mozilla and Google proposals.
>>>
>>> interface SpeechInputRequest {
>>>    // URL (http: or data:) for an SRGS XML document, with or without SISR
>>> tags,
>>>    // or a URI for one of the predefined grammars
>>>    attribute DOMString grammar;
>>
>> I think we need to support either multiple simultaneous grammars or
>> SIRs. MS has GrammarCollection, so it supports multiple grammars,
>> SpeechRequest API support multiple active recognition objects.
>
> I also suggest giving the user the ability to inject their own  grammar,
> code, css into the applicatiion. I believe this capability is critical to
> accessibility because in my opinion, accessibility is defined by what the
> user needs, not what a vendor is willing to give them.  what the user needs
> is something no vendor can afford to create which explains a lot about the
> current state accessibility.

User modifications are a user-agent feature, not something that should
be in the JavaScript API. Greasemonkey and the Chrome developer tools
are examples of user-agent features that let the user modify web apps.
As far as I know, they require no special support in the web app APIs.

--
Bjorn Bringert
Google UK Limited, Registered Office: Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham