Re: About speech request initiation and reco element etc

From: Satish S <satish@google.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 14:58:11 +0100
To: Olli@pettay.fi
Cc: public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org, Bjorn Bringert <bringert@google.com>

> As I said
>
> "Note, I'm not against <reco>, if we can find a reasonable security
> model when it is used. "
>
> So if Google is ok that user needs to give an explicit permission to
> the page before activating speech recognition, then this one
> problem is solved :)

Explicit permission comes in various forms. As we discussed earlier on
mobile devices it could be a dedicated key, on desktop browsers it could be
a button on the window chrome, in an enterprise environment it could be a
set of trusted intranet pages set by the domain policy and in untrusted
environments it could be a drop down or an info bar or a dialog asking the
user for an extra click. I think we all agree on these models and that they
get explicit permission in various forms. So I think the problem is solved.

Is everyone else ok with a <reco> style markup element and its methods being
the JS API for speech input? A similar model could be used for TTS as well
so a <tts> element if visible on page could provide a UI similar to the
<audio> tag, allowing users to play/pause/seek in the audio stream.