RE: Proposal categories

I have a couple of comments on the first category, "specify simple APIs for speech recognition and speech synthesis using
speech service implementations provided by the browser or platform".
1. Wouldn't a better statement be just "Specify simple APIs for speech recognition and speech synthesis that address as many of our prioritized requirements as possible"? I think simplicity and addressing our requirements is more important to us than exactly where the services come from.
2. It's also worth pointing out that a proposal that's "simple" to one community isn't necessarily "simple" to everyone. Let me make this more concrete by defining 4 communities that have an interest in simplicity from their own perspectives.
a. end users
b. developers
c. platform implementers
d. standards groups

A proposal might be simple for platform developers, but create difficulties for end users. For example, the UI becomes more complex for users if they have to push a button to initiate the start and end of speech, but that might make implementation easier. As another example, a specification that leaves key areas as "implementation-specific" is easier for the standards group, but not so great for developers. When we talk about what's simple, I think we have to keep these different communities in mind, and in roughly this order of priority.