Re: HTML Speech XG Completes, seeks feedback for eventual standardization

We at Google believe that a scripting-only (Javascript) subset of the API
defined in the Speech XG Incubator Group Final Report [1] is of appropriate
scope for consideration by the WebApps WG.

A scripting-only subset supports the majority of the use-cases and samples
in the XG proposal. Specifically, it enables web-pages to generate speech
output and to use speech recognition as an input for forms, continuous
dictation and control. The Javascript API will allow web pages to control
activation and timing and to handle results and alternatives

As Dan points out above, we envision that different portions of the
Incubator Group Final Report are applicable to different working groups "in
W3C and/or other standards development organizations such as the IETF".
 This scripting API subset does not preclude other groups from pursuing
standardization of relevant HTML markup or underlying transport protocols,
and indeed the Incubator Group Final Report defines a potential roadmap
such that such additions can be compatible.

To make this more concrete, Google will provide to this mailing list a
specific proposal extracted from the Incubator Group Final Report, that
includes only those portions we believe are relevant to WebApps, with links
back to the Incubator Report as appropriate.

Bjorn Bringert
Satish Sampath
Glen Shires

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/htmlspeech/XGR-htmlspeech/