Re: [HTML Speech] speech resource specification requirement

  On 9/9/2010 1:16 PM, JOHNSTON, MICHAEL J (MICHAEL J) wrote:
>   One of the central
> goals of the web (and W3C) is strive for consistency of experience
> across different browsers.  A developer creating a (multimodal) interface
> combining speech input with graphical output needs to have the
> ability to provide a consistent user experience not just for graphical
> elements but also for voice.

In my experience, the graphical user interface experience is completely
independent of the vocal user interface. interfaces to be narrow and deep versus
speech which tend to be wide and shallow (as a rule).

The user interface developer needs to build a three user interfaces. The
graphical interface, the aural interface, and the speech interface. Because most
developers only have time for graphical interface,  I advocate making the tools
for building other interfaces accessible to the end user.  Yes, my focus is on
the disabled because if you make it work for them, it will work for the
temporarily able-bodied.

An experiment I would love to try someday is building a speech driven user
interface for e-mail with zero graphical elements to start with.  then by using
a grammar which enables discovery by displaying options whenever the user pauses
or hesitates, teach them about what's possible.