Re: R23. Speech as an input on any application should be able to be optional

We had developed an IVR to provide voice interface to
email and calendar info, supporting telephone handsets
connected over SIP and RTP to our speech server.

Currently, we are adding text/mouse modality to our app,
to build a multimodal Android application based on our
IVR system written in VXML and Java.

All of the speech dialog in our app now being replicated
on the Android screen, where the user can enter commands
and data using either the voice or text/mouse.

For enhanced accessibility and usability, our Android
front-end doesn't require the user to choose the modality
before entering commands/data - users just speak up or
type/select the info. Since our voice server continuously
monitors the RTP voice channel (from Android) to recognize,
our backend system just needs to choose the info from either
of the two input channels - whichever comes up first.

In order to add a new schedule, for instance, the user can
either speak the schedule summary or type it into the screen.
If the utterance is recognized, then the result is shown on
the screen as if it's typed-in. The user may type-in the new
schedule info if speech cannot be used or when the utterance
is not recognized.

Chan