Re: R26. There should exist a high quality default speech recognition visual user interface.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Eric S. Johansson <esj@harvee.org> wrote:
> On 11/16/2010 10:36 AM, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
>>
>> That sounds good, but we probably shouldn't be restricting it to a
>> visual interface at all. Non-visual user agents should also provide a
>> default user interface for speech recognition, and we don't need to
>> require that the speech recognition interface is visual even in visual
>> user agents.
>>
>> So how about:
>>
>> "User agents must provide a default interface to control speech
>> recognition."
>
> Is this meant to imply that the end-user can replace any or all components
> of the default interface/interfaces. I ask because of my own experience with
> NaturallySpeaking. There are bugs in NaturallySpeaking to have existed since
> roughly 2000 and have not been fixed. These are critical bugs if you are
> disabled and using "nonstandard" applications.  Having the ability to
> replace interface components will enable special need user groups to fix and
> extend user interfaces to meet their needs without putting a burden on the
> core speech recognition development organization.

No, the requirement is not meant to imply any requirement on user
agents to allow user modification. User agents can certainly allow
user modification if they want, but that is an implementation detail.

--
Bjorn Bringert
Google UK Limited, Registered Office: Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham