RE: R26. There should exist a high quality default speech recognition visual user interface.

Maybe the different form factors won't matter.  We'll just need to spell out the minimum functionality a UA is supposed to present to the user, and how the app is supposed to interact with it programmatically.  This level of detail is probably the same across devices.

-----Original Message-----
From: public-xg-htmlspeech-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-htmlspeech-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Deborah Dahl
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:58 AM
To: Olli@pettay.fi; public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org
Subject: RE: R26. There should exist a high quality default speech recognition visual user interface.

I think Olli's wording is a little clearer.
I think we need something like this, especially in the development phase. However, I think there's a danger that we might get bogged down in "high quality", especially if we think that "high quality" includes "visually appealing". I think "informative" and "usable" would be better descriptions.
Also, a high-quality, or  even just informative and usable, default visual interface will need to be different for different devices, depending on screen size, keyboard, touchscreen vs. mouse, availability of physical buttons, etc. We can't address every device, so should we just focus on one or two major devices, like desktop browser and "generic small-screen device"?