Re: Clairiifcation

On 11/11/2010 08:40 PM, Olli Pettay wrote:
> On 11/11/2010 08:34 PM, Young, Milan wrote:
>> Hello Olli,
>>
>> Near the end of the call you made a comment on IRC. Something along the
>> lines that you might not agree with the requirement. To which
>> requirement were you referring? Was this the requirement for a default
>> speech implementation?
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> It was about the plugins and such.
> To allow web apps to work in all browsers, web apps should not rely on
> some particular local speech engine.
>
> But I need to think about this, since I do realize that
> some engines may not work well enough in all use cases.
>

> -Olli

So, IMO, we shouldn't recommend or require the case when web app can
ask UA/user to install any kind of plugins.
UA should (or probably must, so that we can support offline web apps)
have local speech engines, and perhaps it can have some
mechanism to replace the default embedded engines with some other ones,
or maybe an UA can support several different kinds of engines, but by
default web apps should just work regardless what the engine is.

I don't think we want to be in a similar situation where browsers are
now with plugins like Flash; it works in some systems but not all
and UA vendors cannot do anything to it. And yet there are web pages
which absolutely require Flash to work.

-Olli