Re: R8. Web application must be able to specify language of recognition.

On Nov 11, 2010, at 6:17 AM, Bjorn Bringert wrote:

> I think that specifying the language without a grammar is useful for
> cases where the app isn't specifying a grammar at all (e.g.
> dictation).
>
> A separate issue is what to do if the app requests a language that the
> speech recognizer doesn't support. Maybe we should add another
> requirement along the lines of:
>
> - Web apps should have access to a list of the languages supported by
> the current speech service implementations.

Alternatively, perhaps we could ultimately consider a model similar to
how SSML 1.1 handles voice selection [1] and/or language failure [2]
-- essentially give the app author the ability to pre-select the
behavior that would occur when the language desired is not available.

[1] "onvoicefailure" in http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis11/#S3.2.1
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis11/#S3.1.13

I haven't thought this through -- it's more a random idea to
consider.  Besides, I'm not sure what the requirement would be.
However, thinking about what the author needs rather than how to do it
("what", not "how") is perhaps the best way to arrive at a requirement.