Re: R18. User perceived latency of synthesis must be minimized

Hi,

On 08.11.10 18:07, Young, Milan wrote:
> Any requirements around the UA integration with the speech server seem
> inferred at best.  While the details of such protocol integrations are
> probably outside the domain of the W3C,

Maybe I'm naive, but I would like to disagree on this point. If we
really want to enable flexible pairing of speech servers with browsers,
to be used by web apps, then I think it is essential that we define a
standard protocol how the browser, on behalf of the web app, interacts
with the speech server.

Taking the perspective of a speech server provider (our open source MARY
TTS), I would like to implement a protocol once, and have it run with
all browsers. I don't want to have to program five different browser
extensions, which the user would have to install first, before they can
use my speech server.

As to the web app developer, he/she would just have to define which
speech server to use, say using a URL, and the browser would handle the
interaction with that speech server.

Does that seem unreasonable?

Cheers,
Marc

--
Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: marc.schroeder@dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-85775-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: