Re: Text to Speech proposal

Hi,

On 05.11.10 11:52, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
> * It could also be useful to allow starting from a given point without
> scripting by allowing a URI fragment in the src attribute value. This
> would allow the user agent to buffer from the correct point when
> autobuffer is set.

It seems to me that SSML <mark>s and XML/HTML fragment IDs don't really
play well together. (The SSML mark example in the proposed spec also
reflects that.)

SSML <mark> is a point-based notation (from mark A to mark B); URI
fragment is a node notation (node X).

In the example that Milan pointed out, it would be nice to be able to
say "play from mark A to mark B", but using src to point to a fragment
of the SSML document allows us only to point to a node X in that document.

What it would be nice to have is something like using the Media Fragment
URI mechanism [1] for <audio>, where you could say:

<audio src="http://example.com/file.wav#t=3,10">

in order to refer to the stretch of the audio file from second 3 to
second 10.

I don't know for the syntax, but conceptually it would be nice to be
able to say something like,

<tts src="text.ssml#section=A,B">

where text.ssml contains <mark name="A"/> and <mark name="B"/>.

Best,
Marc

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/media-frags/

--
Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: marc.schroeder@dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-85775-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: