Re: [f2f] Agenda

On 10/29/2010 05:08 PM, Satish Sampath wrote:
> Thanks Dan.
>
> Regarding the API proposal from Google at
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/htmlspeech/2010/10/google-api-draft.html,
> this is derived from our earlier API document which was posted in this list.
>
> The main changes in the latest API include:
> - is simpler in some areas such as error management
> - focuses only on a small subset of input element types which text input
> - we have added the ability for the web page to give feedback on the
> recognition quality. For e.g. user can view all the hypotheses and
> select a different result as their top match.
> - formatted in W3C draft style for easier reading.
>
> We are happy to discuss the latest proposal over email as well if there
> are comments before the F2F.

Few *random* comments about the proposal.

In the examples the code
<input ... onspeechchange="startSearch"> doesn't work.
It should be
<input ... onspeechchange="startSearch(event)">

I wonder which syntax of SRGS we should be using. In the old days I've
used ABNF, and I think it is easier to write it by hand than the XML
form. XML form is probably easier for some tools.
Though, there are probably tools to convert XML->ABNF and vice versa.
But anyway, if we're going to use SRGS, we need to specify which
form the content author can use.

I don't quite understand why you have decided to bind speech results
automatically some seemingly random input element types.
Why not just have something more generic and let the page author to
set the value to whatever element she/he wants to.
Making the classical "multimodal pizza" example to work using the
proposal would need some hacks; first get the value to some input
element, and using script set the value of checkboxes and radiobuttons.

Related to this, 5.6 is a bit odd. Why should input element work
differently than textarea? Even if there was automatic speech
recognition result binding to input element, I'd assume, that for
example saying a phone number, number by number, should work.

I don't quite understand SpeechInputResultCollection.feedback().
What is the use case for that?

'continue' may cause some UI problems.
The UI must do something like start the recognition when there is a
mousedown, and stop it when there is mouseup. Otherwise user might not
realize that the recognizer is on; for example if someone interrupts the
user so that she/he doesn't look at the screen for awhile and
doesn't notice that the recognizer is running.

About grammars. The proposal seems to allow only one active grammar.
I think allowing more could be useful for content authors. They could
reuse some generic grammars, and then have some hopefully smaller
application specific grammar.

br,

-Olli