From: public-xg-htmlspeech-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-htmlspeech-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Young, Milan
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 10:25 AM
To: Dave Burke
Cc: public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org
Subject: RE: UA <=> SS Protocol

Hello Dave,

I'm interested to hear from the other chairs and Robert from Microsoft on this subject.  But personally I could be convinced to proceed in the direction you are suggesting.

I would like agreement, however, that there will be a tight coupling between the UA API specification and the protocol.  Referencing the WebSocket model, for example, the abstract at the top of the document states: "This specification defines an API that enables Web pages to use the WebSocket protocol for two-way communication with a remote host."

In the paragraph below we see similarly binding language: "This specification is being developed in conjunction with an Internet Draft for a wire protocol, the WebSocket Protocol..."

I believe such a yin/yang relationship is necessary to achieve the "browser-independent" experience suggested by our mission statement.  Concretely, when a specification is finally produced, no UA could call itself conformant unless it implemented the required portions of both specifications.

Thanks