Re: [georss] was kml reference placemarks - now KML into OGC

 Joshua Lieberman wrote:

>Sean, Mike,
>
>Google is a member of W3C and can certainly submit anything it wants,
>but it would be a somewhat disturbing path if W3C went directly from
>wgs84_pos to the kitchen sink which is KML. Also, the KML placemark
>overlaps strongly with GeoRSS tags, except that the altitude
>semantics are strangely undefined in the placemark.

Josh,

This is a fair and conservative approach. The only reason I suggested
W3C consideration is not necessarily because it comes from Google, but
because a geospatial web is still part of the worldwide web, where data
format governance is overlapping between  OGC and  W3C . Google Earth is
evolving into a geoweb browser, and is promoting a non-standard document
format for general spatialized worldwide _web_  utility. On the other
hand, according to your logic, maybe KML placemarks are Google
application specific. In that case, maybe there's no reason for OGC to
pay attention either.

Mike