[Fwd: Geonames enters the Semantic Web]

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 23:46:28 +0100
To: public-xg-geo@w3.org
Cc: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>, marc@geonames.org
Forwarding from the SW Interest Group list. Looks like great stuff,
though I've not investigated in detail yet.

BTW is anyone here going to

in Southampton UK next week? I'm wondering whether I can manage to attend...

attached mail follows:

Hello all

I'm very pleased to announce that, through a quick and efficient
collaboration with Marc (in cc), the 6 million and growing geographical
features in the data base of Geonames [1] are now described by a OWL
ontology [2], and the RDF description of each instance, including names,
type, of course geolocation elements, is now available through Geonames
Webservice,  adding to an already impressive pack of  services [3].
The ontology is very simple, and leverage elements of the wgs84_pos
vocabulary [4]. The feature types are described using a simple SKOS
vocabulary, which has been embedded in the OWL ontology.

If you add that, thanks to Google Maps API, the geonames features can be
created and edited through a wiki-like interface [5], this as Web 2.0 as
can be.

Comments welcome, either here or in the Geonames forum [6]

[1] http://www.geonames.org
[2] http://www.geonames.org/ontology/
[3] http://www.geonames.org/export/
[4] http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/#vocabulary