  • From: Bernard vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 00:16:14 +0200
  • Subject: Geonames enters the Semantic Web
  • To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
  • Cc: Marc <marc@geonames.org>
Hello all

I'm very pleased to announce that, through a quick and efficient
collaboration with Marc (in cc), the 6 million and growing geographical
features in the data base of Geonames [1] are now described by a OWL
ontology [2], and the RDF description of each instance, including names,
type, of course geolocation elements, is now available through Geonames
Webservice,  adding to an already impressive pack of  services [3].
The ontology is very simple, and leverage elements of the wgs84_pos
vocabulary [4]. The feature types are described using a simple SKOS
vocabulary, which has been embedded in the OWL ontology.

If you add that, thanks to Google Maps API, the geonames features can be
created and edited through a wiki-like interface [5], this as Web 2.0 as
can be.

Comments welcome, either here or in the Geonames forum [6]

Bernard

[1] http://www.geonames.org
[2] http://www.geonames.org/ontology/
[3] http://www.geonames.org/export/