Re: [georss] Transport of Toponyms with GeoRSS

Hi,

If we step back a second from just the syntax of GeoRSS, what we have
been trying to do is provide simple and effective geotagging which is
also rigorous. In other words, someone can easily communicate
location with GeoRSS. Someone else can then parse that GeoRSS and
understand how the provider intended  to represent information and
geography in the context of a feature model and reference framework.

There are basically three ways of combining the feature concept with
the generalized Web resource concept:

1) There is only the feature, derived from an abstract feature
concept. Everything else is a property of that feature. This is very
clean in a geospatial and GML sense, but clashes violently with the
fact that Web resources  exist independently of feature
conceptualization. Hence the lack of compatibility between the world
of information on the one hand, and well-structured geodatasets on
the other.

2) Web resources and features are independent, first-class concepts
which are sometimes related. This is the most flexible approach in
terms of respecting each first-class concept, but involves a possibly
overwhelming amount of administration to maintain the resources, and
the features, and valid relationships between them. In many ways,
this may be the ultimate goal of a geospatial semantic web, but a lot
of infrastructure has to be built first for this to work. Parts of it
are underway!

3) We assert the "featureness" of Web resources by adding properties
such as geometry to a representation of / reference to the resource.
This is the most natural role for RSS. RSS, after all, fundamentally
asserts the "news-ness" of some Web resource, by connecting news-y
properties such as title, date, etc to a resource reference (URI).
Adding georss:point or other georss property to the RSS similarly
asserts the "featureness" of the resource; it turns the RSS item also
into a feature in a lightweight manner suitable to the lightweight
location concept which is being asserted.

My contention is that our aim with GeoRSS is case 3) above. We wish
to augment, to add value to existing information rather than to
replace or administrate it. This does not eliminate the possibility
of an alternate form (FeatureRSS?) which implements case 2) by
asserting a link between a remote Web resource and a remote defined
feature, such as a TIGER administrative boundary.

As Chris Goad has elegantly observed in the question of how to
represent GeoRSS properly as RDF, this means that other feature
properties have either to exist at the same level as the georss tags
georss:where, georss:point, georss:line, etc. so that they are
represented properties of the RSS item, or be added as properties of
some other feature object buried in / referenced by a georss
property. Leaving aside the latter for a moment, this means that such
properties as both toponym properties (e.g. georss:featurename) and
address properties properly should be included alongside georss:point
as below and work quite well using other specifications such as xAL.

This doesn't really change the GeoRSS model (slight editing is
required), but it makes much clearer both how it can be adopted into
w3c geo and how it should coexist with other RSS practices, whether
xAL or dc:coverage. It does have the slight disadvantage that where
additional georss properties are used (e.g. relationshiptag,
featuretypetag, radius, elev, floor), there will be more than one
georss tag directly under item, e.g.
<item>
.
.
.
<georss:radius>5000</georss:radius>
<georss:point>-71.2342 34.234</georss:point>
.
</item>

this seems like a small amount of overhead, since other namespace mix-
in's such as dublin core are handled in the same way.

There is another case which still requires some refinement in regard
to case 3). That has to do with a GeoRSS item which describes a
resource which is already a feature or feature collection. There is
presently a lot of experimentation on this topic; patiences and/or
another discussion thread would probably be appropriate to work this
case out.

Cheers,

Josh