Re: INSEE releases OWL ontology and RDF data for geographical entities

Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> Le dimanche 06 août 2006 à 10:59 -0400, Joshua Tauberer a écrit :
>> Eric van der Vlist wrote:

>>> If I understand the spec correctly, if you load a XML/RDF
>>> document with weird namespaces names such as http://foo.com/b or
>>> http://foo.com#b in a RDF parser and serialise the model back
>>> into XML/RDF, in addition to the common "roundtrip" issues, the
>>> result could use different namespace and local names than the
>>> original document!
>> What difference would that make (besides it possibly not looking as
>>  pretty)?  The input and output documents will still be entirely
>> equivalent.
>
> Please read my mail in the context of the question to which it is
> answering!

You're right.  I lost track of the thread somewhere.  Going back
further, I see I missed (i.e. failed to read carefully) Dan's email
mentioning the web architecture rec (http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/).

So that's to be understood as covering URIs mentioned in RDF?  (I ask to
the list at large, maybe rhetorically.)  Any dereferencable URI found in
any RDF document is expected to (i.e. "SHOULD") dereference to a
representation of the entity denoted by the URI.  Ok.  There it is.

Can I infer anything from the dereferenced representation if it's not a
RDF document?  That is, if I find a URI <http://www.w3.org> in an RDF
document and I dereference it and find a text/html document, am I
permitted to infer that the entity named by <http://www.w3.org> was
intended to denote the web page at that address?  Is this a question
that the webarch document answers?

--
- Joshua Tauberer

http://razor.occams.info

"Unfortunately, we're having this discussion. It's too bad,
because guess who listens to the discussion: the enemy."