Re: R: moving to Community Group?

Hi,

I'm the guy behind the New Social Web project.  I've posted occasionally
to this list and it's precursor, and participated in a couple of the
conference calls, but it might be time for a re-introduction.

I started the project when I discovered Mozilla Drumbeat about a year
and a half ago.  I had recently left Facebook after yet another revision
of its privacy policy and was wishing for something better.  Social
networks struck me as something with a lot of potential, but that
potential seemed unlikely to be realized while centrally controlled,
closed-off networks were the norm.  It seemed to me that an open network
where individual profiles could be set up and interact something like
independent websites in the WWW would be a much better way to do this,
and lead to innovation that could never happen otherwise.

I had never set up a website before, and my only coding experience was a
smattering of BASIC back in high school and a course in Turbo Pascal in
college, so I wasn't going to be writing any software myself.  I thought
if I could set up a project and get other people interested, we might
get some people interested in building something.  At the time I had no
idea anyone was working on anything of the kind.

While I was writing up my ideas to post to Drumbeat the New York Times
article on Diaspora came out and suddenly lots of people were talking
about the same things I was thinking.  I went ahead and posted my
project, "We Need a Free and Open Social Network".  My basic intent at
the time was to create a forum for brainstorming on the idea with others
and find ways to publicize the issue to a wider audience.

I soon found there were already plenty of people working on it.  Unlike
me, rather than simply unhappy users, most of them were developers
coming at the issue from a completely different angle.  Rather than
engaging in high-level discussion of what a social network ought to be,
they appeared buried in the technology itself- looking at the pieces and
thinking, "what can I build with this?"

It was fun to watch.  I stepped in with stupid questions from time to
time, but mostly just tried to listen and learn as they worked.  I
learned quite a bit- for me- but I'm still far from able to contribute
anything of a technical nature.  Instead I've tried to work on keeping
the idea visible to others, setting up a website and wiki and posting
relevant news to social networks.  I also worked on the Distributed
Social Networks Wikipedia article and set up this list
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXMsLaocacrdDAwTzdPeGdPNlhZSHFMelg0MnQ2N2c&hl=en#gid=0>
of projects.

As far as this W3C group goes, I'm hoping that moving to a Community
Group will open things up a bit more and find more people getting
involved.  I think there are good ideas out there beyond what have been
discussed here.  I also think broadening the discussion a bit beyond the
in-front-of-your-eyes technical details to looking at alternative
approaches could be useful.  It does happen, but since the majority here
are web developers mostly things are viewed through a set of assumptions
that might differ from those of network-level programmers, OS hackers,
app builders, sociologists, or philosophers (like Henry :-)) for
example.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the next
months.

Brad Kipfer
newsocialweb.org