Re: Quote of the day

On 14 May 2011, at 20:17, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 14 May 2011 10:24, Markus Sabadello <markus.sabadello@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "A community will evolve only when a people control their own communication"
>> -- Frantz Fanon
>
> Nice.
>
> That hints at one of the reasons I find 'federated social Web' an
> awkward framing of the problems we're addressing.
>
> The use of political language is interesting, but it suggests that the
> 'federation' we're concerned with is one about relations between big
> social sites (canonically Twitter, Facebook, Myspace,
> Friendster-as-was and so on). The real action ought to focus on the
> groups and individuals who use all these sites, not the 'federation'
> of sites they're using. If Twitter and Facebook make a partnership,
> that's great and all but I don't want the future of group
> communication to be beholden to the whims of product managers and
> CEOs...

I agree that the "real action ought to focus on the groups and individuals who use all these sites". It's a question of scale though. I see the the 'federation' happening between social sites; between smaller agents acting on behalf of groups and individuals; and the groups and individuals themselves. One big spaghetti of relationships, trust, permissions, etc. I guess it's up to all of us to keep the 'user' at the forefront of our minds - and that is not in question from the sentiment heard so far on this list. Great stuff.

Cheers Daniel