[EMOXG] comments to proposal for Core 6

Hi again,

in preparation for Thursday's phone meeting, here are my comments
regarding Björn's proposals for Core 6 [1].

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-emotion/2008Jul/0013.html

Our requirements [2] make it clear that we need to represent (a)
co-occurrence (because of different causes and/or in different
modalities) and (b) regulation.

[2]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/emotion/XGR-requirements/#ComplexEmotions

As I understand it, Björn suggests three options for representing
multiple emotions:

0) put them side by side, with no explicit links between them;
1) enclose them with a <complex-affect> element;
2) cross-link between them, e.g. using a <related link="..."/> element.

In the interest of interoperability, I think we should decide for one
option, or have very good reasons for providing a choice.

I agree with Björn that option (1) is suboptimal because it is difficult
to represent emotions that overlap in time only partly. Between option 0
and option 2, then, the question is whether the relation between them
should be made explicit or not, and if so, what the nature of the
relation is.

For example, such relations could be (ad hoc list):

"co-occurs"
(or more explicitly, "different cause" or "different modality", maybe
others?)

"regulation" (in the future, when addressing optional req. Core 9)
-> "masks", "is-masked-by", ...?

Indeed, if we go for option 2, we should consider treating this as a new
kind of "semantics of links", see req. Links 3.

Maybe it is too early to resolve this issue? If so, it may be good to
note down the options to retain, and proceed.

Best wishes,
Marc

Björn Schuller schrieb:
 > Core 6:
 > Multiple and/or complex emotions:
 > =================================
 >
 > Due to the complexity of this subject it is too restrictive to use
tags to combine emotions (as is done in EARL with the <complex-emotion>
tag) as only mechanism to deal with complex emotions.
 > For a general and very flexible specification to deal with complex
emotions, the most simple method from the language specification point
of view is to add a timestamp and duration attribute to every <affect>
or <emotion-related-state> tag (whatever it will be called, see draft
for emotion related phenomena). For a complex emotion multiple <affect>
tags with the same time attributes can be specified. Of course, this
sets higher demands for the parsing application. It must internally
align all parsed emotion/affect events on a timeline and then combine
events that occur simultaneously. However, the flexibility of this
approach is enormous. Complex emotions, where one part begins earlier
than the other or one emotion is suppressed only at certain times, can
be annotated without hassle.

 > To make parsing and processing of complex emotions easier it might,
however, be necessary to add a <complex-emotion> or <complex-affect>
container that can group together multiple emotion related phenomena
occurring in parallel. Example:

 > [Variant 1]
 >
 > <complex-affect>
 >   <affect>
 >     <category set="Scherer" name="emotion" />
 >     <affect>
 >       <category set="everyday" name="pleasure" confidence="0.9" />
 >     </affect>
 >   </affect>
 >   <affect>
 >     <category set="Scherer" name="emotion" />
 >     <affect>
 >       <category set="everyday" name="anger" confidence="0.9" />
 >     </affect>
 >   </affect>
 > </complex-affect>
 >
 > [Variant 2]
 >
 > Another possibility is to link one affect tag to another, not using a
container tag. Let us use a <related link="#id to link to" /> tag here
to illustrate the concept but not propose this as a good solution.
Probably the tag should be changed to something more meaningful or
existing ways of linking should be used here to ensure easier compatibility.

 >   <affect id=1>
 >     <related link="#2" />
 >     <category set="Scherer" name="emotion" />
 >     <affect>
 >       <category set="everyday" name="pleasure" confidence="0.9" />
 >     </affect>
 >   </affect>
 >   <affect id=2>
 >     <related link="#1" />
 >     <category set="Scherer" name="emotion" />
 >     <affect>
 >       <category set="everyday" name="anger" confidence="0.9" />
 >     </affect>
 >   </affect>
 >
 > All of the above methods could be supported in parallel in the
standard, because they might all have advantages for specific
applications/parsers.

--
Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: schroed@dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-302-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: