Re: A paper on progress from EMOXG at Emotion&Computing workshop

Hi Catherine,

The precise details of how to encode, say, a smile or a frown could be
left to a standard like MPEG-4 or FACS.  But this would only handle
human-like facial expressions.  It wouldn't handle robot-specific
expressions such as moving ears, flashing lights, etc.  So we could
have some high-level feature in which people could specify the kind of
expression associated with a given emotion (eg. smile/flash blue
lights).  If this was a humanlike facial expression, the details could
then be handled by MPEG-4 or FACS (which would take "smile" as input
and transform that into specific facial action units etc.).  That's
assuming we are interested in the generation of facial expressions in
artificial agents.  But we might want to include a facial expression
feature in EML so that people or computers who are tagging video data
can say what made them infer a particular emotion category without
having to go into the details of FACS.

I'm just thinking out loud, but it only struck me today that it
appears rather inconsistent to include a category for behaviour
tendency but not for facial expression.  Almost all the proposed core
features deal with what we might call internal aspects of emotion -
type of emotion, emotion intensity, appraisal etc.  If we wanted EML
to handle just these internal aspects, and let other standards like
FACS etc handle external aspects, then it is strange to include an
external aspect like action tendency in the current requirements list.
 On the other hand, if we include action tendency in the list, it is
strange to exclude other external aspects such as facial expression.

Does anyone else feel perplexed by this, or am I on the wrong track?

Dylan