Re: [EMOXG] Deliverable report published as first draft: EmotionMarkup Language: Requirements with Priorities

Ian, Catherine, all,

the discussion on action tendencies is interesting. There seems to be
agreement that in principle, for a system that is capable of acting (in
some way) an emotion model should provide the possibility to specify the
action tendencies linked to the emotion.

At the same time, very few systems implement this today.

pelachaud@iut.univ-paris8.fr schrieb:
> should the language we are working on
> deal solely with current state of the art, or look at the future and thus
> embed more information than our current systems can consider?
> The second approach is of course more interesting. However we should
> wander how we will validate it.

In this particular case I think it is relatively simple. Maybe we can
agree on a basic way of representing action tendencies, in particular
the question: are they categories or scales? -> Maybe scales, specifying
how strong the tendency towards the given action is?

As for categories, dimensions, and appraisals, we could then leave the
concrete set of action tendencies to the user; we would only specify
some default set. Can anyone advise, maybe the Frijda books contain a
limited collection of "typical" kinds of action tendencies?

If we can agree on the basic representation, then including action
tendencies in the spec would not be difficult, so I would be OK to add
it in the "mandatory" section.

What do people think?

Cheers,
Marc

--
Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: schroed@dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-302-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: