Re: [EMOXG] xml spec subgroup: emotion-related phenomena / complex emotions

Hi again,

here I have to adopt the role of the lay-person wanting to make use
of the language, having no deep knowledge on parsers or other
XML-related technical background.

Core 1:
-------
For me, Variant 3a, the level version

is the one I best could follow and interpret, so I personally would
prefer this :-) The others might be technically better but difficult
to interprete for those not that familiar with XML notations and
nesting.

Core 6 - complex emotions:
---------------------------
I see your point. But I don't see a big problem in this. We do have
the time information (if wanted) within each <emotion> entry, so
time correlates can be found and exploited easily.

So the <complex-affect> tag as container might do the job:

<complex-affect>
   <affect>
     <category level=0 set="Scherer" name="emotion" />
     <category level=1 set="posneg" name="positive" />
     <category level=2 set="everyday" name="pleasure"
confidence="0.9" />
     <modality name="voice" />
   </affect>
   <affect>
     <category level=0 set="Scherer" name="emotion" />
     <category level=1 set="posneg" name="negative" />
     <category level=2 set="everyday" name="sad" confidence="0.2" />
     <modality name="face" />
   </affect>
</complex-affect>

Note that the modality information is within the single emotions.

This would do for a number of applications. You can add the time
information as suggested by the other group to the composing single
emotions to add complexity ;-)

I might have overseen something, though.

Best,

Christian

--
Schuller schrieb:
> [...]
>
> [Variant 1]
>
> <complex-affect>
>   <affect>
>     <category set="Scherer" name="emotion" />
>     <affect>
>       <category set="everyday" name="pleasure" confidence="0.9" />
>     </affect>
>   </affect>
>   <affect>
>     <category set="Scherer" name="emotion" />
>     <affect>
>       <category set="everyday" name="anger" confidence="0.9" />
>     </affect>
>   </affect>
> </complex-affect>
>
> [Variant 2]
>
> Another possibility is to link one affect tag to another, not using a container tag. Let us use a <related link="#id to link to" /> tag here to illustrate the concept but not propose this as a good solution. Probably the tag should be changed to something more meaningful or existing ways of linking should be used here to ensure easier compatibility.
>
>   <affect id=1>
>     <related link="#2" />
>     <category set="Scherer" name="emotion" />
>     <affect>
>       <category set="everyday" name="pleasure" confidence="0.9" />
>     </affect>
>   </affect>
>   <affect id=2>
>     <related link="#1" />
>     <category set="Scherer" name="emotion" />
>     <affect>
>       <category set="everyday" name="anger" confidence="0.9" />
>     </affect>
>   </affect>
>
> All of the above methods could be supported in parallel in the standard, because they might all have advantages for specific applications/parsers.

> Dr. Björn Schuller
> Lecturer
> Technische Universität München
> Institute for Human-Machine Communication
> Theresienstraße 90
> Building N1, ground level
> Room N0135
> D-80333 München
> Germany
> Fax: ++49 (0)89 289-28535
> Phone: ++49 (0)89 289-28548
> schuller@tum.de
> www.mmk.ei.tum.de/~sch
> This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. All messages sent to and from our institute may be monitored to ensure compliance with internal policies and to protect our business. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks.

Christian Peter
Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics Rostock
Usability and Assistive Technologies
Joachim-Jungius-Str. 11, 18059 Rostock, Germany
Phone: +49 381 4024-122, Fax: +49 381 4024-199
email: christian.peter@igd-r.fraunhofer.de
Problems with the electronic signature? Please load the current root
certificate of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft into your browser!
(http://pki.fraunhofer.de/EN/)