Re: [EMOXG] Confidence

Ian, Bill, Andrew, all,

my impression is we are converging to the notion that

* for some purposes, a continuous scale will make sense, notably when a
machine generates a value;

* for other purposes (human ratings), a discrete scale is better suited.

There have now been two suggestions how the discrete values should be done:
a) using pre-defined words;
b) allowing only certain values within the same range as for the
numerical value.

Is this a fair summary? And: can the issue be generalised from
confidence to other scale ratings (em. dimensions, appraisals, action
tendencies, and intensity)?

My personal view on option (b) is that it seems not straightforward to
define, say, a seven-point scale in this way. Using English words in the
markup does not bother me, we do it in other parts of the spec as well,
and in W3C markup languages throughout, it seems to me. So I would
favour (a).

Best wishes,
Marc

--
Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: schroed@dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-302-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: