Re: [EMOXG] Use Case 3 Requirements Analysis

Dear all,

This email is related to the Output Events description you have proposed.

Since few years, there have been work toward creating a unified
multimodal behavior representation language to control ECAs and to
describe its behaviors. A first specification has been designed and has
been presented at last IVA conference (S. Kopp et al, "Towards a Common
Framework for Multimodal Generation: The Behavior Markup Language"). The
paper can be downloaded at
http://mindmakers.org/projects/BML

There is also a wiki page that describes the language in its current stage:
http://twiki.isi.edu/Public/BMLSpecification

This work is part of a larger framework, SAIBA described in:
http://mindmakers.org/projects/SAIBA
SAIBA stands for Situation, Agent, Intention, Behavior, Animation.

Within Humaine project, work has been done to define a Gesture
Repository: that is a placeholder for behavior description. As for BML,
the behaviors ought to be described in a player and model geometry
independent manner. That is the description of a behavior should not
rely on a particular geometry nor on a particular animation
parametrization. A first specification of this language is described in
a Humaine deliverable.
Right now, we are in the phase of combining Gesture Repository
specification and BML. Though they are quite similar.

The idea underlying these efforts is to allow for mutualisation of work.
Creating new behavior can be extremely time consuming. Sharing behavior
definition could be of great help. Moreover mutualisation could also
happen for sharing modules (animation player, behavioral engine, etc):
having a common representation language is a first step toward allowing
this exchange.

I would like to propose to use BML to describe multimodal communicative
and emotional behaviors.

Sincerely,

Catherine