Re: Interoperability discussion for the Framework Report

some additional thoughts

I have not yet investigated the following hypothesis that is surfacing

"could defining the sy, sem or pr dimension a priori point to  different
domain perspectives into the interoperability gap?"

what I mean is: is it possible that given a case of lack of interoperablity,
the root causes of the gap are to be found in different domains?

I dont know if this question is worth pursuing, but could be worth some
tests

PDM

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:35 PM, <paola.dimaio@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> able to exchange messages in a syntax they can each parse.  An example for
>> missing persons is sharing domains for people but also for location.  If
>> systems don't agree on representing where things are located in a
>> geographical area (and when) they aren't going to be able to help find and
>> rescue people.
>>
>> Both pragmatics and semantics  are concerned with the use of data: what
>> the data means in different systems or contexts; how it relates to other
>> data; and what rules govern its use. In short, both pragamatics and
>> semantics make something useable information  and transforms it from mere
>> “data”. Current technologies support a variety of ways to enable a
>> correct syntactic integration by passing valid instance data.  So
>> increasingly there are fewer gaps at the syntactic level.
>>
>> iIntegrating the semantics of the underlying systems still is difficult
>> because information is created for, and are applied to, specific situations
>> - which one might think of as the pragmatic level - my purpose in having
>> this system, what it will help with.
>>
>> Engineers integrating enterprise application systems and their application
>> services have to know the meaning of the low-level data structures in order
>> to implement a semantically correct integration .  Typically not enough
>> structural information about "situations" is adequately captured or
>> represented to do this. Without such situational knowledge to integrate data
>> producers and data consumers, the chances of misunderstanding and
>> misapplication increase.
>>
>> I think we need to scope  our approach to pragmatics and keep it simple.
>> We need a pragamatic way of addressing these pragmatics.  At first blush the
>> pragmatics we are concernd with are macro level and are like the intentions
>> to "save people", "limit damage", "coordinate resources".  These are the
>> topics we discuss in emergency management that integrate efforts and are
>> something like information pragmatics.  At this point we don't want to
>> confuse this with a finer grained pragmatics that apply to individual agents
>> which would get messy.
>>

>> Gary Berg-Cross

>>> this is how I think gap analsyis works for us:
>>>
>>> take any example/case where system A is not interoperable with system B
>>>
>>> then ask, why are they not interoperable?
>>>
>>> look at syntax, semantics, pragmatics aspects
>>> of each system and spot where the 'gap' is, ie where the two systems do
>>> not share the representation/use
>>>
>>> narrow it down specifically to a domain cluster, for example medical vs
>>> communication domain
>>> identify domain specific issues (terminology, policy)
>>>
>>> the analysis above will help to decide what steps need to be taken to
>>> bridge the gap
>>>
>>> In addition to the dimensions above, we may want to find additional
>>> factors for our gap analysis method:
>>>
>>> for example the systems are not interoperable because:

>>> processes
>>> policy
>>> system
>>> language
>>> etc
>>>

>>> you can add freely if there are things we left out

>>> --
>>> Paola Di Maio,
>>>

>> --
>>

> --