Re: Some observations on the complexity of vocabularies...for EIIF

Gary

>   There is no entry for
> "victim", which was one item that Paola was using as a main example.
> Instead we have some related terms such as "actor" which mentions the
> victim role in a simulation context.  It's defined as:
>
>   Actor: Individual simulating a victim, victim family, media,
> perpetrator, or other person within the exercise scenario to prompt
> realistic action/reaction from the exercise players.

> So there is a gap there.

yep, indeed. big gap,  several gaps  . obviously the field of operation of
such an activity is the simulation lab

> On the other hand the Glossary has any number of informational items
> that we might add such as Alert, which discusses related terms (e.g.
> “advisory”) and a supertype "notification" :
>
> Alert: A notification category between “advisory” and “activation”
> that provides urgent information and indicates that system action may
> be necessary. An alert can be used for initial notification that
> incident activation is likely, and for ongoing notification throughout
> an incident to convey incident information and directed or recommended
> actions (see “advisory” – “alert” – “activation” for contrast between
> the other notification categories).
>
> Notification: Information distributed to relevant personnel that
> contains important information regarding an actual or potential hazard
> impact and the response status of the organization. There are
> generally four categories of notification: update, alert, advisory,
> and activation.

> I would suggest that we take such useful items to supplement our
> vocabulary and try to harmonize them.  Showing explicit taxonomies
> helps do that. These should find their way into the Information Model.
> And having some agreement on a core set of semantic relations is also
> important.

yep, thats what I think this segment of the project is set out to do. we
would need to come up with a methodology as well
I have been thinking on how to go about it, looking for the most efficient
path in the maze of possibilities
suggestions welcome

RANT/
 I am a bit conscious tjhat a lot of people on public lists  use the
knowledge that is being generated to feed their reserach propoposal funding
(nothing wrong there) but lurk silently, make no contribution to the public
and unfunded work, and  results of the funded work are not fed back for the
public benefit. In fact sometime the result of research is 'sold' to the
private sector for a profit. I think this is a practice in academic research
in the EU at least, and partly contributes to the a) fragmentation b)
conflict of interestes c) progress of knowledge in this area.
 This is a generic issue that applies to many sectors, not just the EM.  At
this stage, as something like this directly intersects with a) projects
already being funded  b) funding opportunities already available, I would be
tempted to ask members of list, or other lists, who are engaged in related
work to declare their interests (if not alredy done)  and look for synergy
and ways of mutually benefiting from public collaboration //END RANT

> I'm not sure if any of the good work at GWU has looked at a taxonomic
> skeleton for the glossary or a system set of relations.

Universal task 'JOINT'  taxonomy looks good, I am sure there is more ....

www.dtic.mil/doctrine/training/ujtl_ip.doc

Next Generation Universal Joint Task List (UJTL)
UNIVERSAL TASK TAXONOMY
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/odp/docs/UTL2_1.pdf

Integrated Taxonomy to Assess Warfighting Effectiveness and
Human Performance Readiness
http://www.internationalmta.org/1998/9842.html

Some work on
glossaries is also using natural language processing (NLP) tools to
"extract" preliminary ontologic models and perhaps someone in the WG
has access to such a tool to see what vocabularies they come up with.
I'd certainly enjoying on this with such a tool.

There are several researchers trying to 'sell' their technologies in this
space at the moment, but I am sure we can find
someone who would let us play with their tools.... let's think....

Paola Di Maio