Re: person location WRT position

On 2008-09-17, at 1502, Nuwan Waidyanatha wrote:

> IMO, location is relatively static because earth does rotate; relative
> to the sun; therefore, the address, if labeled as a location, is in
> motion.

No it isn't, as most of the co-ordinate systems used for location are
fixed to the earth's frame of reference - this includes the underlying
model (e.g. a global geoid that approximates the chape of the earth,
or a regional grid that approximates a country or jurisdiction. These
are usually either global co-ordinate systems or local - e.g.
jurisdictions, regions or countries. The application of them depends
on the accuracy required and the application of the data e.g.
cadestral databases generally require a high degree of precision and
are more prone to say shifting of tectonic plates over time.

In summary, most of the systems we use, such as WGS84 & Lat/Long move
with the Earth's rotation so it is not an issue.

Cheers Gav