Re: person location WRT position

Hi all,

On 2008-09-12, at 0704, Carl Reed wrote:

> A few emails ago I promised to provide clarification on the use of
> the terms "location" viz "position". Turns out that after reviewing
> the use of these terms in ISO, the OGC, and the IETF there appears
> to be consistency!
>
> ISO 19112
>   location: identifiable geographic place
>
> ISO 19133
>   position: data type that describes a point or geometry potentially
> occupied by an object or person

 From that, I would read that location is something that doesn't move,
e.g. a town - an identifiable geographic place. An object/person has a
property called position that identifies its current location.

So, anything that can move has a position, and everything that can't
move (and this may include buildings, monuments etc) has a location. A
position of course, can be mapped to a location (e.g. to calculate
nearby locations).

Cheers Gav