Re: collective intelligence and emergency management

From: Steven S Young <steveny@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:17:08 -0500
To: paola.dimaio@gmail.com
Cc: "Humanitarian ICT" <humanitarian-ict@yahoogroups.com>, public-xg-eiif <public-xg-eiif@w3.org>, public-xg-eiif-request@w3.org

Hi.  I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but it seems a
little on track.  It deals with the concept of social behaviors in an
emergency situation.  Mainly, it applies to evacuations.  I suppose one way
to look at it would be to understand group (collective) knowledge during a
disaster, and how it is measured and spreads to members of a particular
social group.  Please take a look at this paper as an example:

(See attached file: HARE.MOJA.MIZU.WIAP-BPM-2007.pdf)

Another way of looking at it, would be to discuss the communication impact
a disaster has on different types of flow control models (evacuations).
Outside of the psychological and communication aspects of an disaster event
is to look at it from the intelligence side of things.  Meaning, HUMINT
from a military point of view.  Any thoughts?

Steven Young, MBA. IEM, CHS-III
BRCS, Managing Consultant
IBM Global Technology Services
Cell:+1 630 915 6987
Home Office:+1 630 655 8250
Fax: + 1 630 655 8870
Messages:+1 773 635 9982

             public-xg-eiif-re         "Humanitarian ICT"
             quest@w3.org              <humanitarian-ict@yahoogroups.com>,
             10/22/2008 08:07                                           cc
                                       collective intelligence and
                                       emergency management

Is there any such thing as collective intelligence?

I take this opportunity to invite submissions from the Emergency
Management community for the Human Collective Intelligence track  at
IEEE/DEST 2009 which I am chairing

Look forward to contributions from this area of work

Paola Di Maio

Paola Di Maio
(D.E.A)  Digital Ecosystem Applications

(image/gif attachment: graycol.gif)