Re: IETF RFC 2119 [was] Re: EM Standards List

--- Carl Reed <creed@opengeospatial.org> wrote:
> There is also the ISO directive for how to express
> normative language.
> Specifically: ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2: Rules for
> the structure and
> drafting of International Standards.

You mean these:
http://lhc-proj-qawg.web.cern.ch/lhc-proj-qawg/LHCQAP/isorec.pdf

I find it quite disturbing that these are in PDF form.

> Not quite the
> same as the IETF RFC definitions.

Clearly not.  For instance the word "must" is used
specifically in the IETF RFC 2119 to mean "required
for interoperability" whereas the ISO uses "must" to
mean "required by statute" and seems not to make
interoperability a primary concern.  Rather it seems
more concerned with representing the concept the same
in both English and French.

>However, the ISO definitions are used
> in all ISO standards, OGC
> standards and I believe ITU standards.