Re: a "standard" = a defensible instructional precedent [was] RE: EM Standards List

Craig -

Interesting perspective and I do not necessarily disagree with your concept.

However, should this group use cycles to define a new taxonomy for
"standards"? Why not just use currently agreed to international best
practice as to what a standard is and how standards bodies are already
characterized. For example, ISO and the ITU are de-jure international
standards organizations. The OGC, OASIS, W3C are what are termed voluntary
consensus standards organizations. In all of these organzations, there are
well defined legally approved processes, IPR policies, and so forth designed
to insure an open process (within the rules of membership), consensus, and
balance of interest that result in open standards.

So, I would suggest for each standard that there be a note as to its
provenance. There should also be a a note on implementation in the market
place. I agree that a standard that has not been implemented is probably
pretty useless.

Cheers

Carl