Re: EIIF concepts attache to DOLCE's upper level

Guido,

Thanks for the mapping.  I had looked at the realtion of the DOLCE
foundation and our concepts a bit but not made any final mapping.  In
addittion to the 5 DOLCE concepts you map our major concepts to there
is also the concept of Event to supplement the idea of "emergencies"
as States.

On the topic of "space" vs. address I'll have more to say in a later
email on the whole "Where" subject area.  We have to use the
distinction between concrete/physical vs. abstract.  I like the
general schema that are used by  Gangemi, A. & Mika, P. as part of the
Ontology Design Patterns (ODP) work which plugs into the DOLCE
foundation ( "Understanding the Semantic Web through Descriptions and
Situations." Proceedings of the DOA/CoopIS/ODBASE 2003 Confederated
International Conferences. LNCS 2888. Springer Verlag, 2003.)

Gangemi and others formalize the relationship between abstract
descriptions (D) and situations (S) in a D-S Design Pattern.  So
address location is just a descriotion of a real location.  But every
situation we might have can have a nunber of (abstract) desriptions.
So Role is an abstract description of some real thing.  A school (a
real thing) may play the role of a care center in an emergency.

 The attached figure is one that I've thrown together quickly to
illustrate some of these ideas.  I have Objects and Events as real
things that participate in Situations adn the corresponding
Descriptions made up of Roles and Tasks.  I've also thrown Location (a
S)  and address (a D) which would be part of the larger pattern.

I like to use ODP as frames to leveragr intuitive conceptualizations
such as we have and make them more expressive and formal in a
stepwise, modular fashion.

Gary Berg-Cross