Re: Requirement for 3W interop standard (new proposed schema attached)

Hi Paul

I am not sure that we are clear about the relationship between this
workgroup agenda, and W3. and/or Sahana.

Other than it is a possible approaches that we should study/consider and
know about.

 I am not sure that W3 (who what where) is a standard AT ALL, or nowhere
near especially if it something adopted by one agency and by one software
project only, dont you agree?

Obviously there is something there that we can learn from/use  W3 when we
work on a standard. but we have to be careful not to get cornered and do not
waste resources, as we only have a few months left, and a lot to do.

OCHA and Sahana mutual interoperability is not exactly what we are working
on is it?

Reverse engineering is OK, but we cannot reverse engineer from a systems
that has no data model nor a suitable architecture in place,   OCHA is a
closed system, designed to serve ONLY its own  internal organisational
structure, which is not even state of the art (to allocate people to
locations does not take into account recombination and distributed
operations and geogrphically dispersed and highly mobile taskforce is not
agile)

 Sahana (last time I looked) had no data model, no external representation
schema, no metadata structure. (maybe it does now?)

 It would be a  mistake and a waste of time to model on systems that do not
conform to a more generalized requirements and good design practice.

That does not mean that it is not useful to have such examples at hand, but
somehow I would be careful about using volunteers resources to achieve our
global goals, which are deliverables that can be used by any system

Correct me where wrong

PDM

--
Paola Di Maio