Re: Apple to push for 24 bit audio distribution?

Interesting, and probably a good development if it moves the industry toward
higher bitrate masters overall. But sample width seems like a relatively low
impact parameter for the end user. Sure, high bit width is vital during
recording, mixing, and mastering (where even 24 bits is too small, give me
64 bit float please!) But for the end consumer, who's listening to Lady Gaga
tunes that have all been compressed up into the top 4 bits of the range
anyway? Not sure if there's going to be much of a measurable difference,
much less an audible one.
Ian

--
Ian Ni-Lewis