Re: OSC on Web

Hello there!

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Vilson Vieira <vilson@void.cc> wrote:

> 2011/2/16 Jussi Kalliokoski <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>:
> > Hey!
>
> Hello Jussi,
>
> > Very interesting project indeed! I'm actually (inactively) working on a
> > project called midinode, that is supposed to provide a node module that
> > allows the creation of virtual midi devices and listening and sending
> events
> > to those and existing devices. I think I see a usefulness increase if
> these
> > two are combined.
>
> For sure. Maybe a common node bridge to MIDI/OSC could emerge from
> these two projects. I didn't found your midinode project, can you send
> me the link?

I agree. I haven't actually published Midinode yet, and I haven't worked on
it for a while, I got disappointed by the withdrawal of WebSocket support. I
actually hadn't done any of the node part so far, just learned how to listen
to MIDI with C++, and most of that code isn't even original, so if I revive
the project, I'll probably do a complete rewrite too. But your project and
discussions with Bocoup people have given me inspiration to start it again,
so maybe I should look at the source code and start writing.

> > I actually already saw your screencast the other day, and meant to
> contact
> > you, since I also have another solution that may be of interest to you:
> > HTML5 Virtual MIDI Keyboard, that also has a java applet in it, allowing
> > MIDI data to be received by the browser. This could also be handy with a
> > node solution, if MIDI data were passed around, and could be converted to
> > OSC data, etc.
>
> I saw your virtual keyboard demo and it's so interesting. I don't like
> to use Java applets so much and if we need to use some plugin, I think
> we could develop browser extensions. Maybe we could receive MIDI
> messages on node in the same way I did for OSC. And again your
> midinode project seems to suit perfectly.

I also agree that browser extensions are way better a solution than Java,
but I happened to come by existing source code and hacking on it was a quick
solution. I'm actually not at all familiar with extension development, the
last such project I had was deprecated in 2006. But since you do, we should
probably join forces for greater good! ;)

Best Regards,
Jussi Kalliokoski