Re: Audio Working Group Charter

To avoid any confusion for anyone reading over the materials here, the
Audio Incubator Group is not considering any recommendations that FLV,
MP4, MIDI files should be playable in the browser, though these
media-types did come up in today's telecon, with respect to popular
tool-chains / work-flows that may be used in generating cues for Web
Audio content.
http://www.w3.org/2010/10/18-audio-minutes.html

No-one is suggesting we make these media types work in the browser
natively (as far as I am aware, and please correct me if I am wrong). I
believe these media-types and the codec/patent issues that surround them
are beyond the scope of a Web Audio Spec, in that the spec deals with a)
data from media that has already been decoded by the browser and b) data
that is generated at run-time from JavaScript.

However, adequate consideration should be given to the tools and work
flows that one might use to generate content, so that the implementation
of a Web Audio API, would not neglect any primitive data-types,
units-of-measurement  or fundamental-methods that the end-user would
need to reproduce a piece of music or an audio scene in a graph-based
system.

We were simply asking questions like:

"How much of the implementation do we leave to JavaScript?"

"What methods/features do we need in a minimal graph-based model, to
accurately reproduce audio automation/modulation from a wide variety of
data sources, without adding methods to parse specific formats to the
core API?"

Al

--
Alistair MacDonald