Re: Music Notation on the Web - Last Call?

First, thanks to Doug for pointing out that there's much room for
light as well as heat here. I think we all share many common
interests, and there are multiple ways forward from the current state
of affairs. I am sure we'll find places to discuss all of these paths
over time.  The discussion of semantic music representation is very
interesting to me but as I've said I consider any new standard in this
are a hugely ambitious project in its own right.

Now on to Kumar's likewise very practical post concerning MIDI+DLS
support, which is a very relevant question for the group. My reason
for being in this group is to make sure that the audio API provides
exactly what notation applications need, and I've looked at this exact
question.

I am familiar with the innards of commercial notation tools that
generate sound, having created one such product (Noteflight) and
studied quite a few others. On joining the group as an invited expert,
I immediately looked at the question of whether Chris's proposed API
could support a minimal but feasible approach to music synthesis --
basically a simple wavetable synthesizer working off of a set of pitch-
shifted instrumental sample loops, with programmatically determined
amplitude envelopes.  The answer was basically, yes, resulting in the
playable music-notation example at http://slice.noteflight.com/audioXG
(this requires a WebAudio build of Safari). The audio in this
prototype is fully synthesized within the program from dynamically
downloaded samples, without the aid of MIDI or DLS.  The graphics are
all rendered in SVG without the need of a specialized music font.

My conclusion from this experiment (and borne out by other work on
other platforms) is that MIDI+DLS support is definitely not necessary
to get notation applications off the ground with the Audio API. What
is necessary is a high-level modular API of the type that Chris Rogers
is proposing, since it makes it easy to create musical sound output
without becoming entangled in low-level buffer processing details.
Moreover, it is not necessarily the case that notational tools use
MIDI internally to represent music performance. MIDI is more of an
output-stage format, invaluable for interfacing with external
instruments, or with the many pluggable soft synths designed around
MIDI (e.g. Garritan).

I hope no one thinks I'm saying that MIDI and DLS are not important,
or that they aren't worth supporting directly in the Audio API *at
some point*. Browser MIDI support in the long term is a must in my
opinion, and DLS is certainly worth looking at (though it's quite
hellish to implement the DLS standard). What I am saying is this: MIDI
and DLS are not required out of the gate to support notation apps in
HTML5, provided that we have a high-level audio API.  So I
respectfully propose that we not stop the train at this time to take
them on board.

Same goes for web music fonts. Nice to have? Yes, possibly, depending
on how they are defined.  Necessary?  Definitely not.

Best,

Joe Berkovitz
President
Noteflight LLC