Re: Music Notation on the Web

Hi Joe,

You may well be right about this, but they are perceived issues even if not
real issues. I think it's best to be able to go to site owners and say
"we've fixed your problem" rather than saying "that's not really a problem."
Sometimes just the aesthetics of space inefficiency are enough to make it a
problem.

The compressed file format offers many other advantages anyway. This
includes keeping linked/included images together with scores in a single
file, and offering a dedicated .mxl suffix rather than a generic .xml
suffix. The tradeoff is that it's a binary file rather than a text file,
albeit a very well-understood, standardized binary format (vanilla,
Java-compatible zip files).

Best regards,

Michael Good
Recordare LLC