  _____

From: public-xg-audio-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-audio-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 11:16 AM
To: Tom White (MMA); public-xg-audio@w3.org
Subject: RE: Music Notation on the Web

Well, they're Web sites.  It seems to me that publishing music on Web sites
is what we're talking about.  However, if you are asking me, "Is it
necessary for the browser to be able to render it directly" - MY answer for
this use case is "No".  (Actually, the browser does not render PDF's
directly - that's a proprietary format with a proprietary plugin, right?)
It seems to me, however, that there are probably other use cases where the
answer would be "Yes".  For example the demo at the TPAC, which I think
might have been a national anthem melody.  One could imagine a display of
flags and melodies in music notation in which clicking on the music plays
it.  In this case I guess it would be nice if it played it for anyone
without any arcane plugins.  But I'm scattering use cases.  Taking the CPDL
and similar site use case - no, I don't think it's necessary for the browser
to be able to render the score.  What IS necessary is a story good enough to
convince whoever is doing this to use the format for many or most of the
scores.  And I guess it would be NICE if the file could be rendered without
purchasing expensive software, wouldn't it?  That is, that people could just
render and print it cheaply if that's what they needed, or could use
expensive software if they wanted to do something more?