Re: Music Notation on the Web

Hi Roger,

I'm going to speak directly to your particular need because I like
real-world examples so much better than abstractions ;)

I'm familiar with the CPDL site and others like it. The reason that
many such sites don't offer semantic markup is not because there is no
viable standard on the ground, but because of three factors: 1) the
high cost (and correspondingly low adoption by the musical public) of
much notation software, 2) the varying degrees of enthusiasm shown by
vendors in supporting the standard, and 3) the distance that has
historically existed between notation apps and the Web.

The cost issue is rapidly becoming moot -- we have Noteflight,
MuseScore, LilyPond and other free offerings of high quality.  These
programs all support MusicXML.

The vendor adoption problem remains an issue.  For instance, when we
say that Sibelius "supports" MusicXML for export, this actually means
that the support is available if and only if one buys a MusicXML
plugin from Recordare.  Older versions of Finale also had this problem
(Finale does now support MusicXML export out of the box.)  Naturally,
few users of these programs buy the plugins until they actually need
them, and so export to MusicXML is not available at the spur of the
moment. Who of the CPDL contributors would stop and say, "I really
need to buy a plugin for $100+ so I can export semantic markup"?

The final point is changing rapidly, in that notation tools are
becoming part of the web.  Correspondingly online communities
incorporating their own tools such as Noteflight.com, and sites with
built-in semantic processing such as Wikifonia.org, provide libraries
of scores in which *every single score is available in MusicXML*. So
it's not that it never happens -- it's just that there are barriers.

We will lower these barriers in time. It will take more than a new
standards effort to do it: it will take a standards effort that
understands the history of the problem, brings in the right players,
and creates the right incentives for those who do not choose to play.

...Joe